Monday, January 29, 2007

One down, 30 to go!

Yes, you read that right, I am having 31 treatments of IMRT (radiation), so will be going for 6 weeks and one day (the drs. had originally said 20 to 25 treatments but had said that they wouldn't know for sure till the physicists did their calculations). I had my first one this afternoon. When I got there I saw my dr. in the hallway and he told me that they had a nice plan and were going for the gusto. I found out after my actual treatment that he wasn't kidding!

I went to my art class at the Wellness Community for an hour (it runs 2 1/2 hours) before leaving early and heading downtown for my rad appt. I had to wait about 45 minutes as they were behind and then they brought me in to get started. Today was a long appt., it ended up being about an hour, but normally it will be about 10 to 15 minutes or so (in the room, not including any waiting time). I still have this phlegmy cough and have been worried about not coughing while laying still (flat on my back with my arms on the table above my head and a wedge under my knees) for so long. I brought some honey lemon menthol eucalyptus drops and started sucking on them beforehand for about 20 minutes or so. When I went into the rad room I stuck one in the roof of my mouth near the back and kept my mouth closed for that entire hour and meditated on NOT coughing the whole time I was lying there (and managed to succeed). The techs kept talking to me and expecting responses, I didn't want to open my mouth as it might make me cough so I was hmming and grunting my responses (I told them afterwards why I was doing that).

First they were to take "films" to make sure the positioning was correct from the simulation I had a week and a half ago. The machine's imaging thingy wasn't working properly which they discovered after trying a few times, so they said they would do it the "old fashioned" way and did it with stands they moved around the machine. After that they had the drs. look at them and okay them and then they did the treatment (the tech put on some music and told me that I could bring my own music if I liked). It didn't feel that long to me (of course it was the shortest part of the whole thing today so that might be why). The machine moved into various positions around me and did these multiple short bursts (maybe 5 or 6, I didn't count exactly- and short relative to the amount of time the machine whirred during the regular rad I had back in 2004) in each position (maybe 5 positions, again I was too busy concentrating on not coughing to count). Then they redid my tattoos (gave me 3 more about an inch down from the others). I asked why and he said that these tattoos were more precise (the others were done at the simulation). So I have 6 dots on my torso now. I asked him if they would be able to tell which ones to use and he said yes, that was a reason they took pictures of them (they stopped and came in and took photos in the middle of the radiation) and also that the machine would know if they used the wrong tattoo (the tattoos are there for positioning) and would let them know.

When I finished I scheduled my daily sessions for 10:45am although he said that they would likely be running late by that time of the morning- but it allows me to sleep late and still have time to get to the Wellness Community for art class and my support group in the afternoons a couple days a week. Also it allows me to get Z. to and from school if I have to in case A. gets a job before I finish treatment (which could happen, there are some good possibilities on the horizon). Then I went off to see the dr. (I'll see him once a week). I talked to the resident first who is still trying to get the prescription insurance company to approve the Zofran they want to prescribe me for nausea. I went through this same nonsense when I went through chemo (different drug, but same issue). They normally only allow 7 pills every 21 day period, so need to pre-certify an exception. She said the insurance company was really taking a long time to approve it (which I knew would happen, that's why I gave the drs. the info right away) but that they were on top of it. Then she said, maybe you won't need it, or need much of it. Shortly after that my rad onc walks in and tells me that I might experience some nausea LOL. Hopefully they will get me the meds before I actually need them.

I missed lunch so drove home in rush hour traffic and ate a small snack when I got home. Then an hour later I ate dinner with A. and Z. and now I'm feeling nauseous from eating too much! I'm really tired so will post this and then go lay down in my recliner for a while and watch something on tv before heading to bed early.

3 comments:

Cindy D. said...

So by now you've had more than one... we'll count down with you! The 10:45 sounds like a great plan - definitely enjoy not having to rush out in the a.m.

Anonymous said...

Glad it's started, so they can start whipping those cells into non-existance! That said, I'm disgusted by the difficulty in obtaining anti-nausea drugs. Hello? It should be standard procedure to just have them available with no questions asked!
Leila.

Michele T. said...

I agree about the anti-nausea meds, it's ridiculous! When I went through chemo the med onc gave me samples to get through the first chemo as it took weeks to get approval. The issue is expense, these pills are very, very expensive. Luckily though they have just come out with a generic Zofran, but even the generic isn't cheap. I could always take compazine (cheap and doesn't have the approval issues) but I HATE compazine as it makes me feel like I've been run over by a truck and it doesn't really do much of anything for my nausea.

As for timing- it's really the perfect time, I can sleep till 8:30am and I've missed all the rush hour traffic going downtown.