A. and I went this afternoon to meet with the rad onc that my med onc recommended we see. It was an interesting appt. I had pretty much expected to have him say, no, can't do anymore radiation, sorry. But he didn't say that. He didn't say that I could do more radiation either, but there is a possibility.
He wants to see some more specific records of my previous IMRT radiation that I had a year ago. It will help him determine whether it is too risky to consider more. He feels that my greatest risk is the bowel, with the possibility of putting a hole in it and being stuck with a colostomy and/or a bag. But until he sees exactly what has been done previously he doesn't know. The issue with surgery is the tumor being too close to aortas, especially the kidney aorta. But in radiation aortas don't matter, however the radiation beams, no matter how precise, have to go through things to get to their target. In my case things like the kidneys and bowel.
He was actively interested in figuring all this out, talking to us as he was thinking things through and explaining everything to us. I really like when a dr. is like this, it's when their creativity and enthusiasm shows.
Where we left it is that I will start the Megace and have the scan in 8 weeks and see if it's working. If it is, then that might be an easier solution, at least at that time (could be that if I am a good candidate for more radiation that it could be done later on, who knows). In the meantime I will get the records he needs to him and then in about 10 1/2 weeks I will meet with him and we'll see what he thinks, whether I should have radiation and if so what type.
So I guess tomorrow I'll go fill the prescription for Megace that the gyn onc gave me yesterday and get started. No reason to wait till next Wed. when I see the med onc as both him and the gyn onc have already discussed and agreed on it. None of this prevents me from pursuing other possibilities, but besides the things I already have set up I am not sure which ones I might want to pursue just yet.
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
{{{hugs}}} - and tumor-targeting prayers for that Megace stuff...
Post a Comment