Thursday, July 31, 2008

Back home from Mexico!

We got back from our trip to Mexico late Monday night (technically Tuesday morning) and after surviving a stomach bug that started Tuesday morning and dealing with complete exhaustion from our fabulous trip I am feeling like a relatively normal person today. Z. and I got out of the house today and went school supply shopping and grocery shopping and I even tempted fate by eating a chicken quesadilla from Whole Foods for lunch (a few minor tummy grumbles but nothing more). We're practically unpacked, the laundry is done (well, it's never done, but the dirty clothes from the trip are done), and A. is been back at work for 2 days. Calvin is so happy to have us all back home and we are so happy to see him too.

I wrote in a journal each night so have a guide to help remind me what we did each day (I've been doing this the last few trips we've done and it's helpful). I didn't really take pictures of the food this trip, but I did take 760 photos (A. took a few of them). I'm not sure how to edit them down to a manageable level, but I'll try to get to it in the next week.

I'll start a day by day post soon, but we had a large group of people traveling, so I'm going to list them and describe them here so I don't have to do so in each post.

Family from the US:
R. - My BIL, who was married to my late sister and father to their 3 children, J., V., and M.
N.- My SIL who married my BIL R. last summer in the US. The impetus for this trip was their renewing their vows and having a wedding party with her family in Mexico. This was her first trip back home in about 3 years. N. and I have become good friends.
M.- Oldest son of R., 20 years old and in college (2nd year)
V.- Only daughter of R., 18 years old and about to enter college
J.- Youngest son of R., 10 years old and good buddies with Z., adopted by N. earlier this year.
R's mom and dad: both in their mid 70's and major troopers!

N.'s family:
A-Sr.- N.'s brother, a doctor and one of our very gracious hosts, father to A-Jr. and A., married to L., speaks little English
L.- N.'s SIL, teacher and another of our wonderful hosts, married to A-Sr., mother to A-Jr. and A., speaks little English
A-Jr.- N's nephew, oldest son to A-Sr. and L., in college (3rd or 4th year I think) and also one of our amazing hosts, speaks English well.
A.- N's nephew and youngest son to A-Sr. and L., about to enter college and another fantastic host, speaks English pretty well.

Mamacita- N. and A.-Sr.'s mom, battling leukemia but is a little powerhouse so you'd never know, speaks very little English.
N.'s grandmother- 93 years old and strong, energetic and sweet, speaks no English.
N.'s Papa- divorced from Mamacita for many years, but they are still friends. Owns a "ranch" which is a lot like a park, in fact he rents it out for weddings (N and R's wedding was there) and charges a small fee for picnicking on weekends. Is very quiet, and I think he doesn't speak any English.

Lots and lots of cousins (kids and adults) and uncles and aunts, too numerous to mention and whose names are too hard to keep straight. There is one cousin's dh though that I'll mention, G., who drove us to the airport on our last day. He spoke little English, was very sweet and generous, and is both a lawyer and an accountant who works for himself.

Okay, that's the basic cast of characters, so on with the story :-)

2 comments:

Leila said...

Hee. I love the cast of characters in novels: you read the names, start to think about how they are, and await with anticipation the story that is sure to unfold.

No different here. I'm looking forward to reading your stories, and of course, to seeing the photos!

Traci Skene said...

You took 760 photos?! You might have to do a slideshow and put them up on YouTube.

I want to go to Mexico just for the breakfasts. Hawaii was great but, except for pineapple and fish, the food isn't much to blog about. (Although I did eat SPAM for the first time in 25 years and was shocked that it no longer has the little key and the one-inch layer of gelatinous goo.)